Many online business owners are taking advantage of article writing as a method of bringing hits to their sites. However, article writing is not a simple task for many individuals. Some of these people freak out at the idea of having to write articles. However, article writing does not have to be such a horrible chore. Follow these eight steps and you will write first-rate articles that will earn you the respect of your market:
1. Segregate the tasks of ‘planner’, ‘author’ and ‘editor’: Every one of these roles are essential to coming up with a highly rated finished product. First , don the ‘planner’ hat to give birth to and order ideas. Next put on the ‘author’ hat to get it down on the page. Finally , don the ‘editor’ hat to get the technical requirements of writing right.
2. Do not jump straight in: Despite the fact that most novice writers perceive that head down, pen down is what constitutes the total process of writing, this really does not work for most of us. If you dismiss the planning phase , the first draft becomes so much more challenging to create . It is also likely that your final article will lack clarity and structure in the absence of sufficient planning.
3. Engage the creative process: Any well-tuned engine requires some time to get going. Begin any writing session with a pre-writing exercise . Use whiteboard brainstorming, index cards, sticky notes or mind maps to generate ideas. Mind maps are particularly beneficial as they are a graphic method of taking notes that corresponds with the way data is organized by the human brain. Creative and meditative visualization may also be of benefit for getting the creative juices flowing before a writing assignment .
4. Outline the structure of the piece of writing : This doesn’t have to be a purely intellectual process . Use index cards or sticky notes and physically move the different points around. Link them together to hear how the paragraphs should be constructed within the overall structure of the article . Each distinct concept or series of ideas becomes a paragraph or sequence of paragraphs. Attempt to give each group a ‘topic sentence’, an introductory sentence that links the concepts within the paragraph into one unit and gives the reader a brief introduction to the main idea behind the paragraph.
5. Put on the ‘author’ hat: The next phase is to organize the first draft. This is where the article author joins all the organized paragraphs into a sequence. In this phase the writer shouldn’t be worried about spelling, punctuation or other ‘editor’ tasks. Rather,the person is in ‘author’ mode and should be thinking only about the organization of the narrative and the coherence of the writing. Just getting it on the page in the planned structure is enough during this phase.
6. Read it to somebody else : When the first draft is finished the article author should read the piece aloud, preferably to another person, in order to see if it makes sense and if any of the points need to be further developed or clarified – your readers like to read examples, evidence and fresh , sharp writing with appropriate and relevant detail. Ask yourself: “Does it sound right?”, “Does it make sense?”, and “Do I need to add anything more?”
7. Don the ‘editor’ hat: Finally , the role of the ‘editor’ comes in to play . The writer must proof-read for run-on sentences, incomplete sentences, correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and the correct use of capital letters. A simple checklist may be a useful visual aid to remind the student what they need to concentrate on when they edit their work.
8. Submit your article! Nobody will get to read it if you don’t publish it!
Writing quality, original articles will help to build your reputation in your niche and will attract traffic to your website.